The awesome Android modding community continues to amaze. One of the hardest things to do is port a GSM ROM to a CDMAÂ phone. Koush, has recently ported the latest and greatest CyanogenMOD to the Droid. Cyan’s Rom’s are always near the top of the hill in the custom ROM world. This is a luxury that was previously only available to users with HTC brandedÂ phones, until now.
Recently there has been a push to port cyan’s ROM’s to non-HTC devices, there are two beta ROM’s atÂ ModMyMoto for the Motorola Cliq, which suffer from multiple bugs.Â For the Droid, earlyÂ reportsÂ from users has been positive. Users state that it’s very fast and stable, which is a staple of cyan’s work. CyanogenMOD’s add a new dimension that is unmatched by the stock firmware in a manner that makes your phone feel totally different than it did when it was stock.
- Clean shutdown/startup system
- NO APPS2SD. I’ve implemented a hack that will store the dalvik-cache of system apps in /cache, which saves you ~40MB on /data. A better APPS2SD system is being worked on by Chris Soyars
- Built in USB tether
- ARM NEON optimizations fromÂ 0xdroid andÂ Qualcomm
- Includes BusyBox, htop, nano, powertop, openvpn, bash, and all engineering commandline utilities
- FLAC audio support fromÂ Kenny Root
- Phone enhancements fromÂ Cytown
- Contacts enhancements fromÂ Wysie
- Perform zipalign-on-install of applications
- DeskClock tweaks- longer autosilence and “require unlock” optionÂ
- Huge collection of ringtones and audio
- All available locales are included thanks to PsychoBoy
- 360-degree auto-orientation byÂ Optedoblivion
- Full color trackball notifications byÂ ChainsDD
- OpenVPN integration thanks to James Bottomley
- Many other bugfixes and tweaks fromÂ AOSP contributors
All source code is available at theÂ Koush Github
Head over toÂ cyanogenmod to try it out. Welcome to the world of cyan Droid users, enjoy!!!